Sunday, September 15, 2013

Writing Gay Sex (A Ramble)

A few weeks ago I was asked to be a guest on the Gay Sex Cast podcast with Dean Sage, Lichen Craig, and their new host, Benny.  (Link is HERE.)  This was really exciting for me because I got a chance to address my target audience with my for realz voice, and talk a little bit about my series and other topics of interest (fanfic and Anne Rice).

One of the questions I was asked was, "why gay sex?" Which is an obvious question to ask a woman. Some people seem completely blown away with the idea of a woman writing about sex between two men, and question why we would even like it.  (This answer is quite simple: for the same reason men like to watch two women get it on.)

The thing is, non-standard sexual attraction doesn't get much of a reaction out of me either way. So you're a dude who likes dudes. So you like to get it on while dressed up in cat ears or are sexually attracted to cars. Whatever, you know?  As long as no one is getting hurt, do what you want.  I write m/m sex because it turns me on and gets me off. Het sex and f/f sex does too. If you look at my bibliography I'm all over the board.

I identify as bisexual, though some people suggest I need to use the label "pansexual" to include trans people. I'm not comfortable with the idea of separating transgendered people from the rest of us. If you ID as a dude, you're a dude. End of discussion, regardless of whats in your pants.  Anyway, because my sexuality is all-encompassing, I really see all types of sexuality as, well, normal.

I write gay sex because I'm good at it. Because people like my characters. Because I think there needs to be more gay and bisexual characters in fiction. I write gay sex because it's fun. Yep. That's why I do it. 'Cause it's fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment