Wednesday, January 1, 2014

The 2014 Blog

I work a part time job. I work 10 hours a week for $10 an hour.  I need to work 12.5 hours a week to pay my rent (usually I scrape it together by coming in early, leaving late, and covering for people). When I went into work last night I saw I was only on the schedule for one day (today) in the first week of 2014.  I'm not sure if this is carelessness or animosity on the part of my boss. It could be either--he doesn't really think of his employees as people with needs (like food and shelter) and he really doesn't like me.

I was angry for a good two hours, but finally I sat down and I made a list. It wasn't of other shitty places where I could get a job, or of ways I could get back at him (have already decided--its tuna salad buried deep in the pile of shit he calls an office).

I made a list of 33 projects that I have sitting on my hard drive. Some are just outlines, some are half or even almost entirely finished pieces.  Some are finished works in desperate need of an edit and rewrite. About two-thirds of it is erotica. There are also 3 young adult books (full-length ones), a murder mystery with a talking cat, and a bunch of dark fantasy.  My goal is to finish ALL of these stories.  

All of them.

And I hope, by the end of the year, I wont need to worry about scrambling to cover my rent making shitty sandwiches for an asshole.

So, I need money. For the last 5 months I've been living on about $500 a month.  That covers my rent, utilities, food, and gas. My bike insurance is paid up until July and my phone is paid up until October.  I have $150 a month in student loans that I can't cover. Last year I threw all of my tax money at it so I'm caught up for now, and I'll do the same this year. And I'll keep working at that sandwich shop until the bastard gets up the balls to fire me properly just because I make him uncomfortable (he is a weak man afraid of strong women).

This year you are probably going to see books on here with names other than Leigh Wilder on the cover. They're still me. I'm trying to turn this name into a specific brand of fantasy and paranormal romantica, but I'm writing other stuff as well. When I think it's up to the Leigh Wilder standard of writing (some of it isn't) I'll post it here for you guys to decide if you want it.  All purchases will help me pay my rent and get back at my boss for thinking people like me are worthless.

And this spring I'm going to try to get a job at a garden center, where I can be around green growing things, which make me happy.

1 comment:

  1. I'm just sitting here in awe that you have 33 projects on your hard drive.
    I have no doubt that soon you can be working at the garden job and writing more stuff for us. :)

    ReplyDelete